On Wednesday 29 July, the Queensland Government confirmed active COVID-19 cases within the Brisbane suburbs of Acacia Ridge, Springfield and Logan.
As a precaution, while Queensland Health undertakes contact tracing, we have instructed employees who live in these locations, or have attended any venues visited by the active cases, to work from home.
The health and wellbeing of our people and safety of our community is our absolute priority. We will continue to monitor the situation and update our approach based on the latest government information and advice.
Around the globe, we’ve seen some communities begin to emerge from lockdown, gradually ease restrictions and start to reopen for business.
Across our business, our employees have started to return to offices, where it is safe to do so. Where our sites had shut down, we are now safely resuming operations. Throughout this process, our expectation has been clear:
- The health and wellbeing of our team is our priority
- We must maintain social (physical) distancing and hygiene practices at all times
- Anyone experiencing respiratory symptoms or fever must not come to work and should seek medical advice.
The situation around COVID-19 continues to challenge and change. Second wave COVID-19 outbreaks are emerging throughout the world prompting governments to respond and implement new restrictions.
As a global business, and team, it is absolutely critical that we each remain vigilant and strictly follow local regulations and Thiess rules that are in place to protect our health:
- Be disciplined in social (physical) distancing. This means keeping 1.5m distance from our colleagues, limiting face-to-face meetings and avoid all physical contact including handshakes or hugs.
- Practice good hygiene. Follow cough and sneeze etiquette. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. Use hand sanitiser where required.
- Stay home if you’re unwell. If you’re experiencing any respiratory symptoms (sore throat or runny nose) or a fever, do not attend work. This includes anyone experiencing mild symptoms. Seek medical advice and talk to your supervisor or manager. Ensure you complete health screening declarations before returning to work (as required by your workplace).
- Limit travel. Our Thiess COVID-19 Travel Protocol remains firmly in place. It covers any changes that may arise as a result of localised COVID-19 outbreaks. Travel is only permitted if it is business-critical and essential for: employees who work directly on our mine sites; or there is a safety or production requirement that urgently requires non-operational team members to attend mine sites in person.
- Use technology to stay connected and work together.