The sustainable future of mining depends on strong action, today. We recognise the science set out by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. And we understand human activity is the leading contributor to climate change and that its effects will continue to impact our planet and all its inhabitants.
We also understand a global economic and social transformation is required to meet the commitments of the Paris Agreement and the UN SDGs. As the leading global services provider to the mining industry, we have a key role to play.
Find out more about our position on climate change in our 2021 Climate Report.
Thiess is committed to achieving net zero for our Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2050.
To deliver on our net zero commitment we will:
- Disclose our approach and progress transparently by publicly disclosing our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and climate-related risks and opportunities using the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) framework and reporting on our performance against our emission targets in our annual Sustainability Report.
- Decarbonise our mining services through improved energy efficiency and displacement of fossil fuel energy from our operations, including diesel, to achieve our net zero by 2050 target. We will collaborate with our clients and partners to invest in technology to transition to a low emission future. This includes short-term lower emission transition solutions and long-term zero emission concepts such as commercially available, large-scale renewable energy electrification, industrial capacity batteries and hydrogen fuel cells to power large mining fleet.
- Drive growth in commodities for a low carbon future by leveraging our core capabilities to continue our diversification into commodities and services that are essential for clean energy technology. We will rebalance our thermal coal portfolio to no more than 25 per cent of revenue by the end of 2027.
- Contribute to a just, fair and equitable transition to zero-emission energy by supporting our clients, people, local communities and governments to navigate the transition. As we rebalance our thermal coal portfolio and support a responsible phase-down of thermal coal, we will take an active role to minimise disruption to employees and communities currently reliant on thermal coal for their livelihoods. We commit to reinvesting into our communities and society more broadly to advance the UN SDGs.
- Improve Thiess’ resilience to climate change by investing in our climate monitoring to improve our responsiveness to extreme and chronic changes in the climate that could impact our operations, people, communities and the environment.
- Develop the next generation of talent to lead efforts towards the decarbonisation of our portfolio and the development and deployment of new technologies to support our transition to net zero.