400 George Street
Leighton Properties & Grosvenor Investments JV
Design & Construct
December 2006 - November 2009
Back to Projects
Thiess’ award-winning design and construction of the 400 George Street tower created a landmark project that has invigorated Brisbane’s city west precinct and set a new benchmark in environmental leadership. Through smarter design, our team delivered benefits to optimise the building’s views, nett lettable area and performance of its façade.
Thiess was responsible for all aspects of this project including management of all design consultants and subcontractors. The 34-storey development featured four basement levels accommodating 220 cars and 299 bicycles, retail and food outlets on the ground and first floors, and a nett lettable area of 43,000m2.
Thiess worked with the client to determine the workplace amenities, transparency, flexibility and environmental responsiveness that could be achieved through smarter design. Through this process the team was able to:
- Maximise the nett lettable area within the allowable Gross Floor Area
- Adapt the facade to retain its impressive design while improving its performance
- Maximise views and daylighting through core re-orientation.
400 George Street received a 5 Star Green Star – Office Design rating in 2008. The Green Building Council Australia describes it as a vertical village, a thoughtfully designed, environmentally sustainable office environment with comprehensive supporting amenities.
Despite the busy and confined CBD location of the project, Thiess completed 400 George Street with reduced pedestrian and vehicle congestion and minimal disruption to the community.
- 2010 – Queensland Master Builders Association – State and Regional Winner, Commercial Buildings (Office Accommodation) over $15 Million
- 2010 – Queensland Master Builders Association – Brisbane Regional Master Builders Housing and Construction Award for Commercial Buildings over $100 Million.