Thiess is doubling production and leveraging the expertise of the broader Group at Lake Vermont Coal Mine to deliver a total mining solution.
Our team is achieving world-class coal recovery through operational excellence, industry-leading plant and equipment, and specialised extraction methods.
Thiess established mine infrastructure at Lake Vermont in 2007 and commenced mining operations the following year. In 2012, we were awarded a contract to extend mining operations and double production from 4.6 to 10.7 million tonnes of product coal per year.
Our scope includes coal mining, clearing and grubbing, topsoil removal, drill and blast, overburden removal and rehabilitation of final landforms. We also provide all mobile plant and equipment, and operate and maintain the client’s Coal Handling and Preparation Plant (CHPP).
Our Lake Vermont team is working closely with Jellinbah Group to deliver the efficiencies needed to keep the mine competitive on a global scale. Driving the mine’s expansion, we have:
- Designed and constructed (through the Thiess Sedgman JV) twin, state of the art CHPPs each capable of receiving and handling coal at 11.2 million tonnes per annum
- Improved efficiency in safely accessing the coal seam by using excavators and haul trucks that are the largest of their kind and more productive and environmentally friendly
- Expanded our team from 300 to around 650 people and invested heavily in training and development through the use of machine simulators
- Appointed five Indigenous women as trainee haul truck operators following their completion of our innovative ‘Sisters in Mining’ pre-employment program, and
- Engaged with the local community by supporting improved learning and development outcomes for students at Dysart State High School and the Dysart Primary School.